View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
Ozzie,
I'm not confused at all. Perhaps you haven't studied the entire scenario or my reply in the context it was given. I was simply pointing out that "LeeBallanfant" could have been posing a question that had nothing to do with someone batting out of order; in which case the UIC's ruling would be different. If it were a simple batting out of order question, it's a very straightforward ruling.

Rule 6.07(a)(1) states: "The proper batter may take his place in the batter's box at any time before the improper batter becomes a runner or is put out, and any balls and strikes shall be counted in the proper batter's time at bat."

Baker, if you recall, started out batting when Abel should have been up to bat. Baker was ejected before he either became a runner or was put out. I believe this is the point where YOU may be getting confused. While everyone is thinking that Jackson is unwittingly going into the game to replace Baker with the possibility of becoming an improper batter on appeal, what if Abel actually was supposed to go in to pick up the 2-strike count and be in the proper batting order? Instead of Abel doing that though, Jackson pinch hits for him. It is that very scenario that the home team manager is suggesting when he says that Abel is an ineligible player when he eventually does come up to bat.

Does it make more sense to you now?

Jerry
Sorry I cannot agree with you. Don't take it personal because That is not how I mean this, but it is not a complicated matter.

Fact - Baker batted out of order.

Fact - Baker got ejected, then Jackson took his place & struck out.

Fact - Able came to bat (out of order) and singled.

Fact - Abel's action legalized Jackson.

On the official line up, it is Abel (1), Baker (2), Chambers (3), Demeter (4)....
Able was not PH'd for because it was Baker who got ejected trying to bat in the #1 slot. Able is a legal batter in the line up. He just stepped in at the wrong time, that's all. Chambers should have been batting as the #3 batter so he is called out and the next batter in the official line up is the #4 batter. And viola, the #4 batter is Demeter!

As I stated before, it is a simple BOO but as the posts go on, you guys are complicating the $hit out of it. I teach my students the KISS method - it applies here!

Cheers!