View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Even if you don't "see" everything, you can often deduce a lot from what you can see.

To call OOB, A loses the ball no matter what....perhaps unfairly. In calling the held ball, A may lose the ball or may not but they will at least end up with the arrow if they do lose the ball. I'm not suggesting you just call the held ball every time you can't see something, just stating what the ramifications are.

In this case, I think you've probably got a foul or a held ball based on the fact that A1's body was spun around in a way that, as described, could only be caused by B1 grabbing something. I don't think you can come up with a foul based on what was described. A1's hands were both on the ball when A1 came down. If B1's hands were on the ball when A1 came down, you've definitely got justification for a held ball. Even if B1's hands were not on the ball, the actions you did observe still suggest a held ball.

Furthermore, You can sometimes deduce a foul by B even if you can't see the contact by the physical response of A (not always, but sometimes). If B had been holding onto A's arm, you can tell by how the ball pops out and how A's arms move. For example, A1 bringing the ball up with both hands, B get's their arm in there but you can't see cleanly. A1's arms both continue up without the ball...could be clean, could be a foul. You don't have enough info to call anything. But, if A1 has one arm continue up but one arm stays down and the ball pops out awkwardly, I'm calling a foul....that only happens if B1 is hanging on the arm of A1. I don't have to see B1 hanging on A1's arm to know that it happened.

It doesn't sound like this is your case. It sounds like A1 continued to hold onto the ball with both arms. Not enough info to justify a foul.