View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pilo
In my first year of officiating I was working a G-JV game....the Varsity Coach was on the bench "just helping out"(He had a rep as being a yapper and no one really liked him, this I did not know)

Anyway about half way through the 1st quarter. he stands up and gets on us about a call.....He had been warned earlier.....I T him up.

At the end of the 1st quarter he standing up at the bench talking at me.....I just looked at him gave him the big stop sign and said that's enough coach....he kept at it so I ran him.........

At our next meeting it was announced that I ran this Varsity Coach from the JV game.......I got a standing ovation and became a legend all in one night......People still talk about it..........
I got one.

In my first year I was doing a JV boys game and some old guy was sitting behind the table making comments about the officiating. At one point after a call he stands up and shouts "what are you guys doing? Let them play!!". I had him removed from the gym.

Turns out the old guy was the varsity head coach and AD at that school forever. After the JV game he lets himself into our dressing room (his office ) and lets me know who's office we are standing in and who signs my checks in that office. Unluckily for him my partner and the 2 varsity officials were there to witness what happened.

I filed a grievance with my association including a letter of complaint to the school board and the assignor. 2 months later I got a handwritten letter of apology from the old guy. Still have it too.

When he retired the following year there was a big story about him in the local paper...what a great guy he is, role model for the student-athletes, blah blah blah. I was tempted to send a letter to the editor with a copy of his signed apology. I didn't do it.

To this day I have never been back to that school.