View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 09:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
JR, in all these years, you haven't yet mastered "the look" yet?
I mastered it, used it and discarded it. It got me into more trouble than it was worth. If you have a coach that's right on the brink of going off, sometimes the "look" is all that it will take to push him right over the edge. All it usually does is antagonize 'em and keep the flames going. You're also lowering yourself to their level too imo when you employ it.

If you want to really piss a hot-headed coach off, just be completely neutral with them. No arguing, no wisecracks, no yelling.....just show them that you're composed at all times, in total control of the situation and that nothing they can do or say can ever get to you.

You certainly should take care of business if you have to, but if you don't have to take care of business, then you're ahead of the game imo.

Personally, my warning is also a promise. Coaches learn that after a while.

All of this is jmo, and it might not work for everybody, but I think that it's worked for me. Of course, having said that I've also gotta say that sometimes it doesn't really matter what approach you take. You're gonna have to unload a player or a coach sometimes and there's really nothing that you can do about it. But I'd rather they throw themselves out of the game with their own actions, without being able to try and pin part of the blame on any of my actions. It sureasheck makes the report-writing easier.

Again, jmo.