Thread: Arguing
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

I don't wanna sound like a hard @$$ or anything, but personally, I don't argue my judgement calls with the coach/manager. That isn't to say that they don't sometimes try, but I don't allow that argument to take place.

When a coach comes out on me on a banger I simply wait to see what he's gonna say.

If it starts out, "Come on! He was safe/out!" I cut him off and reply one of two ways.
1. "If we stop the game to discuss every close call I make, we'll never finish!" Then I turn and walk away, if he follows, he's warned (usually) then given the gate.
2. "We're not going to discuss judgement. What rule do you think I screwed up?" I'll let the coach/manager respond and explain that I will not argue judgement. Walk away and see sitch 1.

I use the first response with coaches that know me and I know them. The second is used with coaches I don't know very well.

Usually the longest of these discussions take about long enough for the next batter to get to the plate.