View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

I guess it depends on why you're officiating 4th grade. As I started to officiate, I used the rec leagues of younger kids to work on my mechanics, floor positioning, "game management," etc. My goal was to build skills and get into the habit of doing things the way the local association wants them done in a jr high or high school game. Since virtually every official I've met has counseled me to refrain from speaking with the fans, I made it a habit not to talk to the fans in rec league play. If your goal is the same, getting court time to help you develop your own skills, I would definitely suggest NOT speaking to the fans.

Now, if you're working this age group to help kids develop their skills or a different reason...then I guess go with what your instinct tells you. Not all, but many, parents (oh, and coaches) of younger kids lack a basic understanding of the rules. In particular, BC violations, hand-checking, intentional fouls, and the like don't seem to register with them. Short of conducting a weekly seminar, you'll be hard pressed to help them understand why what you called was the correct call.