View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
How many, really close, last-second-in-the-game-situations like this do we have in a season? It's easy for us to watch this after the fact, look it up (like I did), and notice the subtle difference between lights vs. clock in this situation. In most cases, he would be right in saying the light was the deciding factor. But this was one of those rare instances where it might not have been. And I don't care how experienced you are, there's always some situation, like this, that we haven't seen before and we aren't as prepared as we should be. If that's the case here, you can bet he won't get it wrong the next time.
The issue isn't how often this comes up, but rather speaks to the preparation level of those involved.

When this exact situation happened to some of his fellow officials just a couple of years ago and the NCAA went out of its way to set the priority when using the monitor, I would think that an experienced official would take notice of it and make darn sure that he knows the rule for using a courtside monitor.

Is it really that hard to commit to memory that if we have a last second try for goal and have to go to the monitor, we need to look for a, b, and c, in that order?