View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 03:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by John Schaefferkoetter
It is amazing of the various communications between the official and coach. I was taught to take care of business and to prove to the coach that you were in charge on the court. The simple mechanic was to give the coach one straight arm (warning), which your partner(s) would be aware of at this point. Then if anything else occurs unsportsmanlike, issue the "t". It was a very successful tactic as many school administrators, athletic directors, and the state office appreciated the "taking care of business" approach. Fortunately, many of my ex-partners have taken this with them to the D-I level and have been very successful with it.

Now that I'm out of officiating and evaluating for the state office, I don't see that approach anywhere. Even though I try to teach it, it seems that most officials are worried about making the head coach mad, and getting a bad rating after the game. The rating system in this state can determine which level of state tournament playoff game you may get.

How do you handle coaches that deserve the "t"?

John,

I try to do everything in my power to prevent them from doing that. And many guys are taught that approach. Of course there are situations that we will not give warnings, but if a coach is complaining about everything, I was taught to quitely tell him that is his/her behavior will not be tolerated. Then you tell your crew the same and if he/she continues you T them. I personally do not see the "stop sign" that much anymore. Because at the camps that I am at, it is being taught to talk to coaches more. Of course not take their crap, but do not back down from every complaint either. And considering that 3 Person helps a lot, I do not see guys just giving Ts. There is usually an official next to a coach, so you do not see them yelling across the court like you see with two officials.

Peace