View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
I tend to agree - I started in baseball too. 'Course that was well after you (in 68) and then got into doing softball while I was playing it - I thought it might help my playing to know where I could "take advantage" of a situation, and it did a number of times. I didn't get too concerned about the rules until my knees forced me to quit playing 14 yrs ago, nor was I all that concerned about mechanics. That's all changed a bit. Nothing motivates quite like embarrassing yourself on the field.

I'm now working under several different sanctioning bodies' rules and have based everything on knowing ASA's rules and then studying the differences.

Like Roger, I notice the nastiness elsewhere, it seems to avoid all of the softball boards, thankfully. Is our timing that much better that we look for what's really there instead of giving an immediate reaction? My old martial arts teachers would be pleased............

Now, as for that interference on a infield fly in the bottom of the 12th, with the tying run on 3B..... hmmmmmm
Batter is out when IF declared, and the runner who interferes is also out, dead ball, and nobody scores. So, we're either on the way to the cars or we've got 2 outs & 2 runners on somewhere - depends on who ran into the fielder.

Ya know, it's kinda cool seeing some folks turn into rules junkies after being on the boards for a while.

I forgot to mention this, so I'm adding it now. The problem I notice now is that whenever I do have a brain fart on the field, somebody is watching closely.

[Edited by Steve M on Feb 7th, 2002 at 02:58 PM]