Thread: backcourt
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 12:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
Truerookie,
With all due respect, your posted situation, does not fit the one I posted. In your situation, there is still team control. This is my point the rule says "shall not be the first to touch the ball in back court AFTER it has been in team control in the front court..."

Badnews, I am looking for something that substantiates the interpretation you mention...As I see it now there isn't any. That is why I am having the dilema this morning. Before yesterday if A1 shoots the ball after having team control in the front court, and the rebound went towards the back court was tipped by A2 and recovered in the back court by A3, I would have played on.....Today, I am thinking back court. This is why.

1 Team A had control in the front court
2 Team A was the last to touch the ball before it went to the back court
3 Team A was the first to touch the ball in the back court....

As the rule is written 2 and 3 occured after team A had team control in the front court......therefore a violation....like I said I don't like the feel of it, and I need some rules citations to make me "fell" better LOL....
CMA, I'm with Bob on this one. I think you may be overthinking this one.

I look at team control as a continous chain. Once team control is lost the chain is broken and you are allowed to regain team control on any point on the court without regard to what happened in your previous team control session.

Think of it like football. A team throws an interceptions, interceptor fumbles, offensive team recovers. It is now consider a whole new set of downs, it is not a continuation of the previous series.

Once you lose team control, everything starts out fresh when you regain team control (except the shot clock if the ball doesn't hit the rim)

Another possible exception Player shoots an airball, ball deflects off B1, then deflects off A2, then A3 recovers in backcourt.