Thread: HOF Snub
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 08:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
Doctoring a baseball, and helping organized crime bet on baseball is pretty far apart. One gets you ejected from a game, the other gets you ejected from THE GAME.

I don't like Pete because he's dumb. Just plain dumb.
Doctoring a baseball, each and every time he played, is far worse in my opinion, than a former player, now a manager, betting on baseball. I really doubt that Rose ever intentionally lost a game. He was too much of a competitor. He just liked the action of gambling. Gaylord Perry, as a player, not after his career, cheated by using Vaseline on the baseball, causing it to do unnatural movements. Many people struck out, and made other costly outs, due to Perry's grease-balls and spitters. This caused their BA's, as well as other offensive statistics to suffer directly because of his cheating.

But baseball has turned a blind eye to this. I would be willing to wager (a bit of the Captain in me) that there are players in the HOF who did drugs back in the 60's and 70's, but you'll never hear anything like that brought up. Uppers, downers, cocaine...all readily available on the training table back in the day. Where is the outrage about this?

It is long overdue to put Rose into the Hall of Fame for what he did as a baseball player, not what he did later on as a manager.

And Kyle, the fact that you don't like Pete Rose (or his intelligence level), or anyone else not liking Pete Rose, is irrelevant to the situation of his induction into the Hall of Fame. There are many unlikable players in the Hall.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25