View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Careful with that integrity stuff...mcrowder - aren't you the same one who jumped all over a HS football coach earlier this fall on this same discussion board? I seem to remeber that the coach asked whether a play was legal or not, found out it wasn't and said it would not be used and you felt the need to to insult that coach and tell him he had no integrity...hmmm - yet you think NBA officials purposely made calls that favored Miami. And you think the best football officials in the country screwed up and that let Seattle win. Guess I'd rather be an idiot of JR's caliber than yours...
Yes, careful with that integrity stuff, rocky.

You might have to regurgitate quotes for us if I said something that contradicts this ... but if memory serves, I did jump all over a coach for saying that he DID run a play that we summarily told him was not legal. I believe (again ... if memory serves) that there was some confusion in that he said "We run this play ..." and then later said, "I never said we actually RAN the play". Anyway, I had a problem with him saying he ran a play that was not just illegal, but was likely created from an unethical frame of mind.

But what does that have to do with MY integrity?

And no ... I never said I believe there was any INTENT on the part of the officials to throw the game from the Mavericks. No thought along those lines even popped into my little brain. I was not trying to claim they intentionally cheated. I was trying to say that it seemed rather obvious that there were a fair share of really bad calls, and that of those ACTUAL CALLS, the preponderence of the bad ones seemed to go against the Mavs. Again - the difference being that I was not (am still not) saying the referees did that on purpose - just that it turned out that way. There were people on there (JR, for one) who had their blinders on or simply chose to be obtuse, and refused to admit that there were any missed calls ... much less that those missed calls seemed to hurt the Mavs more than the Heat.

I am pretty comfortable saying that by and large the overwhelming majority of officials do the best jobs they can, call what they see, and have no bias. And that percentage escalates as you get into the higher ranks. There ARE exceptions (for example, even though I'm a Texas fan, and hate the Sooners, I still actually believe that there was an inherent bias in place in the OU-OU replay booth, and I truly have a problem with the PROCESS that puts such possibilities in place), but they are rare.

THIS thread was supposed to be about the Terry Glenn "fumble". Being the token official in my office, I was bombarded by Cowboy fan coworkers wondering why there was no real discussion of whether he caught the ball or not ... which is why I asked you guys here what you saw. If that somehow shows a lack of integrity on my part, I guess I'll have to go study the dictionary some more, as I clearly don't understand the definition of the word.