Thread: HOF Snub
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Small size can't fit all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
Here's what I don't like about it. Gossage will get in next year, that's almost a given. So, in the voters mind he's a HoF player, but just not THIS year. So the question is, how will his stats change between this year and next?

It's such a dumb process to let players hang on year after year. Either you is, or you ain't. You get one shot on the ballot, and one more with vets. One and done.
One shot on the ballot without 75% approval is the criteria which keeps almost everyone out. You actually suggested that a player who fails to meet the criteria no longer deserves any other consideration. End of arguement, the baseball writers have spoken. Writers may think of the criteria as some type of lifetime achievement award in comparison to the "chosen few" who have already been selected.

If such a criteria were in place, Mr. Blyleven and any number of '79 Pirates and '87 Twins would no longer deserve consideration. I think you will agree with me that the determining factor should be the statistics. For example, every single player has unique talents. Mr. Blyleven and others all have the statistics to prove their HOF elgibility. Each player should be chosen based on any particular talent among his group of peers. Mr. Blyleven and others should have walked right through the selection process.