Thread: Obstruction
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth:

If someone obstructs, we signal and call that's obstruction and depending upon the play it's either a delayed call (Type "B" BTW in FED always type 'B") or Immediate (Type "A")

[snip]

In FED, as mentioned always Type "B" and the obstructed runner is ALWAYS awarded a minimum of one base beyond his /her position on base when the obstruction occured (FED rule 8-3-2)

Pete, while you obviously understand Fed obstruction vs. OBR obstruction, I would not assume others do.

I think it is dangerous to say that Fed obstruction is alway Type B obstruction. It is not !!

While the Fed mechanic of obstruction may be the same as OBR Type B obstruction, the penalty is significantly different. As you later state, in Fed a minimum of one base must be awarded. That in fact, is the same as OBR Type A obstruction.

While you address the issue, you improperly state that Fed is same as Type B. It's much better for an umpire to learn and know the differences. Fed obstruction is neither Type A nor Type B---the mechanic and penalty in Fed result in a true mixture of both types of OBR obstruction.

Just my opinion,

Freix