View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jway44
I only mentioned that he is a college official because he is very respected in our association. He has worked numerous NCAA tournament games, and a couple of Final Fours. The advice was based on High School situation. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking a coach, it is just a matter of holding the whistle for a few extra seconds.

I am the last person to go passing out technical fouls, so if I administer one, it is well warranted. So if a coach is behaving that badly, holiding the whistle for another second or two until his team has possesion is just causing him to "loose" as much as he can for his actions. Remember we are talking about a situation where he is going to get T'd up. Not a situation where you are looking for a problem.

We are on the floor for the players, not the coaches. I rarely pay them any attention at all unless there is a dead ball situation and they are asking a question or requesting a time out. Therefore if he is behaving bad enough for me to give him a T, another second or two will not hurt a bit.
OK, so what you're really saying is when a coach gets on your azz IF the other team has the ball and IF you think they are about to turn it over then hold the T. Otherwise T right away. Right?

Interesting policy. What happens if the coach is reaming you a new one while you're waiting for the other team to turn it over but they don't? Or what if the OTHER coach calls a time out?? Then what? You wait for the TO to end and start all over? How long do you wait until you finally give up and T him up when he doesn't have the ball?

To me life is complicated enough already. Coach earns his T, he gets his T right then & there.

Frankly, I don't care if your friend worked EVERY D1 final for the last 20 years. What you heard him say is bad advice. That's all.