View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

A Tale of Two Games

I'm just venting here a little, although as I write I may as a question, who knows? Last night we had a 4A girls double header over an hour and a half away from home. The JV game was terrible. One JV team had some athletes, but they certainly were not basketball players. Late in the 1st quarter I'm L and I have a goofy OOB play that I quite possibly booted, that is to say, I admitted to my partners at halftime that I booted it. I was on the far sideline then bringing the ball up with my count when the JV coach walking parallel to me throws his hands up and yells how "horrible" that call was. He was no longer allowed to stand for the rest of the game. The home team had a player that obviously wasn't out there to play basketball. She was angry and looking to run over people. I think she played a grand total of 5 minutes in the game before fouling out. The game was pretty much over by the half, probably becuase I would let the coach do his job . In the second half the coach was complaining about a no call while I was right by him and I informed him that he needed to calm down. He began to complain again and I said firmly, "Coach I'm trying to help you out here. You don't have an assistant and you already picked up one T. You need to stop complaining for your own good." He didn't say anything that I heard for the rest of the game.

The Varsity game was a blast. I felt I had my A game and the quality of play was good. Both teams shot the crap out of the ball and both coaches asked questions, complained a little at times (they picked their spots extremely well) and joked around with us here and there. The visiting team crept away late and it was a fun game all around.

I guess if I do have a question it's how you get yourself focused in situations similar to the JV game? I have this happen about once a year where we are in the car for a long time, all of us after working our real job, and then you have just a terribly played first game.