View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 09:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Almost this exact thing (but a little worse) happened to me a few weeks ago.

With the score tied, the visiting team (let's call them Team B) calls their last timeout with 18 seconds left. After inbounding the ball, they attempt a shot which misses.

On the play several bodies go to the floor, but there is no foul. B1 jumps over a couple of players on the floor and retrieves the rebound with about 2-3 seconds left on the clock.

B1 has the ball, but is falling parallel to the floor -- it will be a travel when he hits (and probably the end of regulation as well) and he is also headed out of bounds.

Someone yells "timeout" and my partner (at lead) blows his whistle and points towards Team B's bench to indicate the timeout. At this time, Team A starts saying, "They don't have any timeouts" and Team B starts saying that they did not call timeout.

The clock is stopped with 0.7 seconds.

When I go to my partner, he has no idea who called the timeout (and neither do I as I never saw anyone signal timeout, nor lip read any player! ). So, we stand there for a L-O-N-G time (probably about two minutes [felt like 15]) discussing what the call is going to be.

In a nutshell, B1 had the ball when my partner blew his whistle, but we have no idea who called timeout (it could have been anyone).

So, what do you have???

After a few responses I'll post what we did and what I would do next time (like this is ever going to happen again!!!)
If you or your partner cannot be 100% sure that the head coach of team B or a player on the court requested the timeout, then there is no timeout request.

Saying that, if there was a timeout request, and it was granted, then you have a timeout followed by a technical foul.

If no request occured, then it is an inadvertant whistle. B gets the ball OOB nearest where they had it last.

Edit: What should you do next time? Not have an inadvertant whistle.

..Michael