View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Well had a Boys Gr 7 and 8 game tonight and I got to hand out my first technical fouls.

First one was to a player who pushed someone away from the ball pretty severely. In hindsight, I should have called a flagrant, but at the time, I called a technical. I should have taken a bit more time to react.

Second technical was against the other team when one of their players swore (sh!t) loud enough to be heard in the principal's office. This happened immediately after another foul so the blue team shot four and got possession.

I do have a question about this though... Do you guys give a warning on the use of foul language before handing out a tech. If he'd muttered it under his breath, I know I wouldn't have called a tech and would have warned him, but since it was overheard by the entire bleachers, I figured that immediate action should be taken.

I always wondered when I'd call my first tech and I didn't think I'd get to call one in my first year of officiating since I've now started coaching. I just got called to ref this one at the last minute.

All the best.

Ren