(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James
No it doesn't.

Whistle and point could mean:
a) moving off a designated spot
b) inbounder w/possession stepping over the line
c) offensive player close to the inbounder leaving the court

If you'd rather leave the approved signal ambiguous as to the specific violation, fine. I wouldn't.
I don't see the signal as ambiguous. It's for a designated spot violation. That's what the official's manual says, I believe (don't have it with me).

Not to be argumentative, but by your logic, then, there should be separate and distinct signals for each of the above listed violations, as well as all other violations. The signal discussed is for a throw-in/designated spot violation. You're suggesting that there be separate and different signals for different kinds of said violations. By that logic, there should be separate and different signals for different ways of violating any rule - i.e. different signals for travelling in every possible travelling violation: travelling by raising a knee after being on the ground, rolling over with the ball on the ground, dragging the pivot foot, taking an extra step after picking up the dribble, etc., etc. The same for all of the possible, different ways of violating out of bounds, illegal dribble, etc., etc.