View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Walk through the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
I'm not an MLB umpire groupie so maybe it's just me, but I didn't recognize any of the names of the instructor staff as "professional umpires" which I inferred to mean MLB.

In the section on "Plate Mechanics," the website says "we teach the box system." I thought that died (at professional levels) when Durwood Merrill retired.

Not trying to knock the clinic, just somewhat curious about who's behind it and what their true bona fides are.
Paragraph 1: Staff attended JE or HW PRO Umpire Schools and have A, AA, and AAA experience. Chief instructor is about 27 and calling AAA. Lead instructor has years in AAA and is MLB fill-in. Rest of these Charlies, not Smitties, help take "beginners" through the paces. Obviously you struggle with inferrences between MLB and PRO baseball. These young guys umpire baseball in their sleep.

Paragraph 2 and 3: Take that up with them. I do not sniff their jocks. Who am I to endorse their product? I will never fly to Florida for 5 weeks of umpire instruction. I encourage all who have the means to atend to attend. I did attend the clinic twice at the beginner level. I will now go back and attend the advanced level. I will also plan to attend in the future. I do know I will meet snowbirds there who can afford the time and expense to come to SA for the weekend.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 01:57pm.