Thread: Traveling
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Giving a travelling signal and calling a travelling violation on a throw-in is not a judgment call. It is a rule interpretation....and a wrong one at that.

NFHS Basketball fundamental #5. Neither the dribble nor traveling rule operates during the jump ball, throw-in or free throw.

Mistakes in judgment happen. But there is NEVER a reason to get a rule wrong, or to allow a rule to be blown.

If my partner thought I was "blowing" a rule, I'd want him/her to come to me immediately and clarify what I had called (either I had not clearly communicated my call OR I was blowing the rule....in either case I need to do better).

If I had not clearly communicated my call, then I should clarify it (for him and others who probably were confused by my initial call).

If I was blowing the rule, he/she should offer me what is "correct," and then it's my decision whether or not to step up to the plate and do what is right and, as necessary, communicate the decision appropriately. If I choose not to "correct it," then at the very least my partner is on record with me having put in his/her 2 cents worth.