View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I'd like to add my own weird call.

Varsity boys, tournament semi-final, nearly 19 minutes remaining in the first half:

I'm lead when team A shoots a long jumper. In the key, A5 and B5 bump as they seek rebound position; they bump again (no advantage); shot is good. The score is now 2-0. B5 grabs the ball and starts a quick break. As the ball nears half-court, A5 and B5 simultaneously (yes, at the same time) grab each other by the throat, first whistle of the game. It was my first, hopefully my last, double flagrant. Both players DQ'd with no further problems. Coach B, lectures his player from the bench to the hall about selfishness. Coach A wants to know why I didn't give the players a warning, rather than an automatic DQ. I remind him that fighting is an automatic DQ, no warning. He quietly suggests that a warning would suffice. I gently provide him with that warning and inform my partner who's now choking on his whistle in an attempt to suppress his smile.

The rest of the game was competitive (three point game), but we called another 64 fouls and three more players from each team fouled out.

My partner was still smiling at the end of the game, as was I.