View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Glad this happened in a non-conference game before the play-offs started. Team B hits a three with 10 seconds left in the game to cut the lead to 3 points. I had checked at the previous dead ball and knew they were out of TOs. I'm trail, table side, in front of B's bench. As soon as the ball swishes, I hear an adult voice on the visitors' bench call TO. I blow the whistle, keeping in mind that they have none left. Unfortunately, I blew the whistle before turning around. When I did so, I saw the head coach ten feet down the bench from the spot the TO call came from. I went to my partners and after a little discussion, I realized that i was certain that the head coach had not asked for the TO. So we immediatley put the ball back in play. A was fouled, made neither throw, and B missed a three at the buzzer. Glad giving B a free clock stoppage didn't change the outcome of the game.

Moral of the story, turn and make sure it is the head coach asking for the time-out if it comes fromt the bench.

jb