Thread: Eyepoke
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
I have several friends who are college coaches. I am going to tell them to teach a method where as an offensive player - they go down and get the call - when contact could have happened.
Feel free. My guess is that they will laugh in your face. The number of times that they will have to implement your "method" will be so few that it's not worth the time spent to teach it. How many times a season do you see a kid get poked in the eye in the last 4 minutes of a tight ballgame? Maybe once. Certainly not more than twice.

So for an average of one possession per season, they're going to practice a "play" for which the only purpose is to fool the ref into calling a foul, and which at the same time completely stops their offensive set if it doesn't get called?

No kid is going to intentionally put himself at a that big a disadvantage while he has the ball at the end of a tight ballgame.

If you don't like the advice of a guy who had a magnificent officiating career, that's fine. But if it worked for him, I gotta think it's worth listening to.