View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
I commented in the chat room how many of the receivers and DB's are leaving one chin strap undone, like the NFL players. Nothing done about that either. It will trickle down to the HS guys just like the bicep bands and cause problems for us.
My high school crew is all over this crap like a cheap suit. We get more rolling of the eyes by coaches and players when we make them remove the bicep bands. And, we all know in Philly that McNabb always leaves two chin straps undone. So my reply to QB's is something "Yo, Donovan get the chin strap buckled --- this ain't the NFL." The kids know I'm sort of kidding with the McNabb remark but they know I'm serious and never give me any crap. I usually get a grin and they comply but they get annoyed with us enforcing the bicep band.

Unfortunately, many (including other officials) will criticize crews of worrying about the "wrong things" when all they're really doing is their jobs. We're screwing each other as officials if some let it go and some not, and that's unfortunate. (just like some crews allowing coaches on the field)