View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 03:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
If you want my honest opinion on this article, I think it's a flat out joke that people think this is a Title IX issue at all. Like all of these coaches are saying, the male practice squad members are only there to make the female players better. These coaches feel the men DO make the women better basketball players. What this ban is doing, in these coaches perspectives, as well as my own, is preventing said women players from improving to a higher level. Thus the players will be weaker players. This is completely not a gender equity issue, and that's why I find this proposed ban so humerous, yet I shake my head at the stupidity of this being an issue in the first place.
The reason you shake your head is because you view this issue from a male's prospective. The women that are on the board of the college committee view this as a major concern. It is not about the men, it is not about the men practice players. It is about the women and how women see their profession growing into the future. They are concerned, much like the parents from South Dakota that the women on the end of the bench is not getting the attention and practice time deserved because of the men players practicing against the women. In other words, so much attention is being focus on winning (let's face it, that's why the women are practicing against the men) that they are simply trying to bring the swing back the other way towards being balance. Not sure how this becomes a Title IX issue because they could simply say as the college committee, no more, and be done.

I am so happy to see women basketball in college because you get a different leadership that is separate from the traditional good ole boy network that runs the men's where nothing ever changes. The women have just about written their own rulebook. They embrace new and challenging ideas. I do not necessary agree with this one, but I do support the fact that they have a right to address it in their own committee. I wish they would bring back the closely guarded for at least the DI level. I think that hurts the women's game more than removing the men practice players.