View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shave-tail
With the inclusion of technology (instant replay) in the game I would like to see a more clear (they may already have it) defination of when a fumble is actualy a fumble. The first fumble that was upheld (the one you disagree with), the ball was clearly on the move before his knee hits the ground. But for me it's not a fumble yet, but that movement may be what the replay officials are looking for. I personally feel that the ball must be clearly out of the grasp before it can be called a fumble. Now full speed with out replay that's a different matter, clearly a judgement call, but with a camera(s) with least 16 frames per second the exact time a fumble becomes a fumble should be clearly defined.

And it may already be.
Discussed this in the chat room. TexDoc said "you cannot start to fumble, the same as you cannot start to be pregnant." Meaning, if the ball is not firmly controlled, it is loose. In the NCAA book, they did add "firmly" to holding when discussing when a player gains possession of a ball. Thus, we agreed that if it is starting to move out of position, it is a fumble. Similarly, the catch on a review not confirmed if the ball is sliding in his hands. That is similar way of looking at it, and makes sense to me.