View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Oh? Even if you don't have definite knowledge as to how much time ran off the clock before it was touched up court? Got a rules citation to back that up?

Iow, I don't agree with you either.

If you put 6 seconds back on the clock, then the ball goes where it was at when there was 6 seconds on the clock. That's happens to be the closest spot to where A1 was when he rebounded the missed FT. If you put less than 6 seconds on the clock, then you had better have definite information as to how much time to take off. If you don't, there's no rule that I'm aware of that will allow you to administer a new and completely different throw-in up court to where the ball is at the re-adjusted time.
We agree about the definite knowledge aspect, so that's not an issue.

Where we disagree is the location of the POI throw-in when the clock is not going to be adjusted by the referee due to lack of definite knowledge.
The example that I gave above might not be the best one to use for those circumstances. It would, however, be a fine play to discuss under NCAA rules with a courtside monitor available.

Therefore, allow me to alter the play only slightly. The timer fails to start the clock and the official notices this, but has no definite knowledge of how much time has passed, when he blows his whistle:
a. while the ball is in flight during A1's long pass.
b. after the ball strikes the backboard in the frontcourt during A1's long pass.
c. after A2 catches A1's pass near the FT line in the frontcourt.
d. after A1's pass strikes the division line.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 01:54pm.