View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Long Toss Mechanics?

Team A leads 72-71 with 2 seconds remaining. B has a throw-in under their own basket. They throw a long pass to the opposite end of the court. Other than the thrower, the other nine players are all at the opposite end of the court so you know a long pass is coming. It is very tough to see if the ball is touched or not. It goes out of bounds. The Lead official (along Team B's baseline) did a chopping motion when the ball appeared to touch a Team B player on the long pass. The clock runs out and the officials call the game over and leave the floor. I have never been in this situation but it could happen in any game. How do you handle this? Who chops the clock in? Do you let the lead do it since he has the best vantage point of the long pass? Or does the lead have some signal to the trail at the other end of the court to let him know the ball was tipped and the clock should start? Lastly, if this happens and the clock starts and runs out, would you leave the court immediately or do you come together and discuss this as a crew? I did see the lead official after the game and he said that B1 definitely touched the ball on the long pass so the clock was properly started. I am just wondering if anyone know how this should be handled mechanically. Or, do we leave it to the clock operator (who already made couple of errors)?