Thread: more patient?
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 10:44am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs_schuster
Fans, coaches and players are getting frustrated with the lack control. .

People screaming all over the place FOUL this! FOUL that!
First, forget about what those people "scream" about your calls. Disregard it, forget about it, ignore it, don't even hear it. "Foul this, foul that" should have absolutely no influence on how you call a particular game. They are ignorant about how officials call a game and about what constitutes a foul.

Second, if you can remember, what happened to the players that got fouled in the first half after you called the foul? Did the ball get away from the dribbler? Was the post player still able to catch the entry pass? After a slight bump, was player able to reach the loose ball?

What I'm getting at is that sometimes the contact is obvious, but it doesn't actually affect the play. In those situations, it helps to be "more patient" with your whistle, as your partners said. In the examples I mentioned above, if a dribbler's arm is obviously contacted by a defender, but the dribbler maintains control of the ball and maintains the path she was on, then I have no foul. If the post player receives a pass on the block and the defender comes "over the top" of her to try to make the steal, but the post player makes the catch and is still able to turn to the basket, then I have no foul. If the ball is loose on the floor and one player has a clear path to the ball, and an opponent bumps that player because she is also trying to get the ball, I have no foul if the first player continues her path and recovers the ball.

Without making judgments about you personally or your partners, I will say that where I officiate, officials who are on the "girls' board" call the game with less consideration of advantage/disadvantage. This seems to actually be expected by people watching the girls' games. But when officials from the "boys' board" work those girls games, there are noticably fewer whistles, because we try to see the whole play before making a call.