View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Looks like Ferentz has seen the light -
From a news report:
Coach Mack Brown said that Chandler being covered up is the reason he was so open.

“When a guy’s covered up, you don’t cover him,” said Brown.

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz wasn’t so sure that Chandler was completely on the line.

“I didn’t agree with the call, but it was a close call. It was a mistake we made,” said Ferentz, who also added: “The officiating crew did an outstanding job.”
================================================== =

and from HawkCentral.com

Controversial call proved pivotal
By Andy Hamilton
Iowa City Press-Citizen

SAN ANTONIO -- The Iowa football team started 2005 by debating the validity of a controversial alignment penalty.

The Hawkeyes ended the year the same way.

Saturday's Alamo Bowl started to turn in the favor of the Texas Longhorns when a penalty negated an Iowa touchdown that could've put the Hawkeyes ahead 21-3 late in the second quarter. Instead of celebrating a 9-yard pass from Drew Tate to Scott Chandler, the Hawkeyes were left wondering if Chandler really was lined up illegally and how the game would've turned out had the penalty not been called.

"It goes from putting us up 21-3 to 14-10 at the half," Chandler said. "That was probably one of the biggest plays of the game."

The Longhorns rallied for a 26-24 victory.

The penalty on Chandler was magnified when Aaron Ross intercepted Tate's next pass in the end zone, and the Longhorns then drove 80 yards for a touchdown.

Chandler came in motion to the right on the play in question, and an official ruled he line up on the line of scrimmage.

"Usually, when I come across, we're not going on a silent count, but because we were going with a silent count the timing's not exactly what it usually is," he said. "(The official) said when I was sitting there I jumped forward and reset on the line of scrimmage."

Since the Hawkeyes had an outside receiver already on the line, Chandler was prevented from going downfield. He ran all the way back across the formation and Tate found the tight end wide open.

"I thought it was a terrible call," Tate said. "There was no way he was up on the line of scrimmage. But we got screwed last year in the bowl and figured why not do it again? Those refs, maybe they saw something different. But I don't understand how it can't be reviewed."

Alignment calls are not reviewable. But Chandler said he asked the official about the penalty later in the game.

"He said, 'It was kind of ticky tack, but I had to call it,'" Chandler said. "He said he saw it on the replay and he was sure he was right."

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said he had "no gripe" with the call afterward.

"We didn't agree with the interpretation (at the time), but at halftime a couple of our guys upstairs saw it on replay and thought it was certainly a callable violation," Ferentz said. "It was a mistake we made on alignment and we took points off the board there.

"I'll just say this, too: I thought the officiating crew did an outstanding job. It was a very well-officiated ballgame. That's good to know that wasn't a factor in the ballgame."