View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
How absurd. Back in post #15 of this thread, I posted both the text of the rule you cited and a casebook situation that seems to contradict your interpretation. All I asked for was an explanation of the apparent contradiction. I urge you to read it yourself.

I'm done with this thread as well. I'm disappointed with your responses, as you're ordinarily much more on point and much less ad hominem. How could I have failed to accept your explanation when you've offered none?
I don't have my case book with me at the moment to double-check what I'm about to say, however it appears that you're comparing apples and oranges.

Rule 8-3 talks about shooting technical foul free throws.

SECTION 3 ATTEMPTING TECHNICAL-FOUL FREE THROWS
The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).

Sure, the language could be more explicit. But the psuedo-word "thrower(s)" is shorthand for "thrower or throwers." There is no absolute need for the rule to say, "And yes, this means that different players could shoot each of the free throws." As written the rule allows that it may happen.

As for the apparent contradicting case: I do not wish to seem condescending, but you are aware that the numbering of rules and cases corresponds, are you not? The case you cite is 8.2, which corresponds to rule 8-2 which talks about shooting personal foul free throws.

SECTION 2 ATTEMPTING PERSONAL-FOUL FREE THROWS
The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted by the offended player. If such player must withdraw because of an injury or disqualification, his/her substitute shall attempt the throw(s) unless no substitute is available, in which case any teammate may attempt the throw(s) as selected by the team captain or head coach."

The comment, as it applies to the rule it supports, is correct. The player who was fouled must take the throws, unless he or she has been injured or disqualified (which would normally happen before the throws, but could also happen between the throws).