Thread: Overtime Chaos
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinRef
bigdogrunnin, I was offended greatly by your initial reply. If it wasn't intended to be degrading or demeaning, then I apologize sincerely for over reacting. We are all fellow Officials in the trenches every night. We get enough crap from everyone else without giving it to one another. For my comments, I retract, and I am sorry.

My original question is "at what point during the the start of the OT, would you call this T?" If you have notified the coach, and stated that somebody has to go, which we did. At what point during the game is this a T?

1. When R enters the circle?
2. When R releases the toss?
3. When ball is tapped?
4. When possession is gained by either team?
Thank you for the apology, and NO I was NOT trying to be demeaning at all. In fact, my attempt at a little humor obviously went terribly wrong, and I apologize as well.

As for what to do . . . I go with #2. The ball becomes LIVE when the referee releases his toss, but to start a game, quarter, or overtime, this should never happen. There are 2-3 officials on the court, and if they are all doing their job (which you and your crew were), then everyone should have a quick count, get the OK's, and off we go.