View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 25, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Hey, I resemble that remark!

or at least I did 25 years ago when I umpired Babe Ruth.
I have decided to bite the bullet and get a pair of umpire pants from POS or Gerry Davis. I was told by one local association that I could use Wal-Mart pants of the proper color for the bases. This was the one and only item where they made such an allowance.
My strategy will be to outfit myself with the state " varsity" style uniform used in VHSL, Virginia High School League. That way, even though I'm working Babe Ruth, the players, coaches and spectators may be fooled into thinking that I know what I'm doing

I will still use an outside chest protector b/c I think it's better protection and cooler in hot weather. Also, I like the beanie hat for some reason. I ordered one of the cheap West Vests mentioned in another thread and may use it if I advance to a level that requires an inside protector. I'm going to try to ease into this as much as possible. Working lower level games and using equipment that I feel comfortable with (the raft)
year one: Babe Ruth and rec league slow pitch
year two: maybe take the VHSL test and work Frosh/ JV ball
year three: think about that then if I haven't quit out of disgust like I did before

Ray