View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I'm not going to call any of my buddies, but I have always been taught that the "Safe, he's off the base" call is only used when both the fielder is off the base, and the runner touches first base.

I do believe that Tim's (both) interpretations are correct for when the runner and fielder both miss the base. In this case, a casual, or weak, "Safe" signal with no verbalization indicates that the runner has acquired the base, but does not tip off either team to any infraction. That is my understanding of this mechanic.
Question:

Let's say that the ball, poorly thrown, beats the BR but F3 has pulled his foot. The BR's stride takes him over the bag without touching it. You give a weak safe signal with no verbal indication of the pulled foot. The coach sees the ball beat the BR but doesn't see the pulled foot or the missed base. He also sees your weak safe signal and figures that you just missed a call (your unusually weak safe signal helped him). Are you saying that you wait until the coach reaches your position to explain to him that F3 pulled his foot?

I was always taught differently.....but I've never been to one of Jim's clinics.

Last edited by Justme; Fri Dec 22, 2006 at 01:26pm.