View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. Girls JV. Coach was a notorious whiner. Basically reffing from the bench. His team was lightyears better than the team they were playing, but due to his lack of focus on the game and instead having it on us, his team went in at halftime down 18 points. During our pregame, we basically said that we were just going to ignore him unless he directly showed us up to the crowd or got pesronally abusive to one of us.

At the half, I told my partner that he is approaching the point of getting whacked. First play of the second half, I am the Trail near his bench. Ball is on the baseline at the far end of the court and there is a routine out of bounds that my partner give to the other team. He complained about the call.

Without turning around, I gave him a VERY HIGH stop sign (so the video would catch it) and said, "OK coach I've had enough." He responded with "So have I". TWEET WHACK!

Now having to sit down, shut up and coach his team, they came back and won in OT.

As an aside, usually, teams take on the personality of their coach. If he's a complainer, then his players will complain and lose focus. They don't usually react well to any adversity that occurs in their game.

I tend to ignore coaches and not whack them. Some senior officials have told me I should whack them sooner, but most of my assignors (I work in 4 conferences) have indicated that they would prefer the way I do it, than become known as Mr. T.