View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach mb
I searched the forum for "technical" and found some interesting reading. Tolerance, warnings, sure ways to get one. But one thing is for sure, the majority of the officials would rather NOT give a T "if" it can be avoided.
Here's a situation that I was made aware of. I was not there. I'm the league director and received a call from the ref and coach of the boy getting the double T.
7th & 8th grade boys. Close game (a few points). Player gets his 5th foul (ref A making the call) and reacts by raising his hands and has some audible words (no swearing). Ref B hits him with the first T. Now here's where the stories differ. However, after talking to 4 people that were there, no one is saying anything worse happened ... just more mouth and yes, a second T from ref B.
Question, at this level, what would you do? Is a second T justified? After the first, would you signal the coach to control his player? Warn the boy that he's about to get a double and ejection? Or just T him again and hope he learns a lesson.
What stands out to me here is that the player has already earned a disqualification before either technical foul. So the referee is NOT throwing anyone out of the game here.

Now I usually allow some emotion from a player or coach on a disqualifying foul, but nothing unsporting and certainly nothing which shows up an official. It is natural for the kid to be upset or disappointed.

However, it seems that this youngster crossed that line and the official properly charged the technical foul. At this point the player still wasn't willing to control his behavior and go sit down nor does it sound like his adult coach stepped in and took control of him, thus the second technical foul.

You may or may not know that under NFHS rules it is perfectly permissible for an official to charge technical fouls to people who have already been DQ'd. If you really want to know even a third T (or more) could have been charged, if the situation warranted it.

I would have to call this an immature decision by a young player that really hurt his team. Hopefully, he will learn from this.