View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach mb
I searched the forum for "technical" and found some interesting reading. Tolerance, warnings, sure ways to get one. But one thing is for sure, the majority of the officials would rather NOT give a T "if" it can be avoided.
Here's a situation that I was made aware of. I was not there. I'm the league director and received a call from the ref and coach of the boy getting the double T.
7th & 8th grade boys. Close game (a few points). Player gets his 5th foul (ref A making the call) and reacts by raising his hands and has some audible words (no swearing). Ref B hits him with the first T. Now here's where the stories differ. However, after talking to 4 people that were there, no one is saying anything worse happened ... just more mouth and yes, a second T from ref B.
Question, at this level, what would you do? Is a second T justified? After the first, would you signal the coach to control his player? Warn the boy that he's about to get a double and ejection? Or just T him again and hope he learns a lesson.
My initial reaction is that anybody who is offering an opinion would really have had to be there to say for sure what they might have done.

Is the second T justified? It's certainly possible. We don't know what he said, how he said it, whether his body language was confrontational or resigned, whether he was moving toward the officials or away. There are a number of factors.

Would I warn the kid he's headed for a second? Probably. Then again, if he's been all mouth and attitude all game, I might just unload him to be rid of him. In any case I'd rather that my partner got him the second time if he needed it.

Whether to involve the coach depends on several things. Has the coach been disdainful or hostile during the game? Had the officials tried to involve him previously? If so, how did that go? Was the coach attempting to get the kid off the floor, or was he sitting back watching to see what the refs would do about it?

Bottom line, lots of variables to consider. I'd have to be there to know what I would do.