View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichOfficial
Greetings to all! I am a new official and I have a question about collecting unemployment, which is also a new experience for me. I am a seasonal worker, so I will be drawing unemployment over the winter. I am also officiating volleyball here in Michigan. There will be a few weeks in January and February when I will be earning more money than my unemployment benefit, but to my understanding, I can still collect my full unemployment check even though I will be receiving money from officiating. Is this correct? I've heard a few reasons as to why I can still collect the full check:

1). The money earned from officiating is outsourcing for schools, and is not reported as wages earned... and they do not take out unemployment or taxes from the officiating check.

2). The money earned from officiating is not the same as wages earned from a traditional employer, so it does not fit into the same category as earnings from a "traditional" job.

If you can provide any answers, I will certainly appreciate it! The last thing I want to do is get in trouble with the government!
Report all income/compensation to both the unemployment office and IRS. There will be some kind of prorated deduction from your unemployment, but that will be far less than the fines assessed if you don't report and are caught.

A local basketball official failed to report his season earnings of a little over $2000 a couple of years ago and got caught. The fines, fees, lawyer bill and amount of unemployment he had to pay back totalled over $6,000.

Honesty pays.