View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Fyi

This is the question I sent to our state association and the response (evidently straight from NFHS and Mary S)

The following situation was discussed by a few fellow officials and I would like some clarification from you if possible.

With the elimination of lag time, has the following situation changed from prior years.

A player is fouled in the act of shooting with .5 (or whatever time) seconds left and does not release the ball prior to the horn sounding on a successful try. An official glances at the clock and has definite knowledge that time had indeed not expired. Can we score the basket because time had not actually expired? Would the interpretation change if the officials had definite knowledge that the whistle sounded prior to the expiration of time but did not have definite knowledge of the exact time to be placed back on the clock?

This is quite a complicated situation. We do have two rules that seem to conflict one another ....always have in this situation really....but time expiring before the release of the try does take precedent......the no lag-time situation can make a difference.

Let me start by saying....you almost have to see the play to make a ruling. If the whistle for the foul and the horn happen almost simultaneously with each other, then you can't count the subsequent release and goal because the ball is actually dead (Rule 6-7-6 and 6-7-7 Exception c, also see 5-6-2 Exception 3).

If there is an obvious gap between the whistle for the foul and the horn, then yes, we can consider that a timer's mistake and put time back on the clock and we could count the subsequent release and goal....because the clock SHOULD have stopped, which means we never would have had a horn to make the ball dead. Make sense?

I am going to have the committee look at this play in April. We need some direction from them on this and make sure the book is clear.