View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Most good defenders go straight up. I'm amazed at how many times a shooter jumps into a vertical defender and his coach wants me to call the foul on the defender. Guaranteed, however, if I called it that way on the other end; he'd be screaming about verticality.
You're kidding, right?

I would guesstimate that defenders jump within their vertical plane slightly less than half the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Not that it has any effect on the ruling, but defenders are coached not to leave their feet because leaving your feet is a great way to watch the would-have-been shooter drive around you and get a layup.
Yes, that's one reason. Another reason is that defender's leave their feet, jump at the shooter and foul him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Still disagree. The guard jumping at the shooter would not have initiated illegal contact at any time before landing if the shooter hadn't moved under the defender after he became airborne.

The way that I read it, I'd call this one on the shooter.
So you disagree with the rule book. Okay.

I'll bet it's happened hundreds of times to you and you've never called it on the shooter.

Quote:
Because the shooter hasn't started to go anywhere when the defender jumped. If the shooter hadn't have moved in and under the defender after the defender was in the air, there would have been no contact.
And we're still waiting on the rule cite.

Quote:
If no one is in front of you when you jump, aren't you entitled to land? You're forgetting that the shooter wasn't vertical either. The shooter moved under the airborne defender after the defender had already jumped.
The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Am I missing something?
No, you're not missing anything.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Dec 18, 2006 at 08:00am.