Thread: Mr. Umpire
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 03:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Yeah, but steve made it seem like there WAS an association filling his nephew's league and he just wanted to officiate that game. If there was NO officials, then yes, i agree with your assessment.

But around here, that's a no-no. We're barely even allowed to officiate games at the high school we graduated from...
Exactly. I'm amazed that any officiating association in any sport would allow such a blatant conflict of interest. There might not be anything there, but there also certainly is the appearance of impropriety. The constitutions of the football and basketball associations that I belong to state emphatically that officials shall not work games in which relatives are involved under any circumstances. That's a pretty common rule too, the way I understand it.

Of course, if the association isn't informed of potential conflicts of interest, then it's a whole 'nother matter. The onus is usually on the each individual official to let the association know about any relatives playing on teams that they service.