View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Collecting unemployment while officiating

Greetings to all! I am a new official and I have a question about collecting unemployment, which is also a new experience for me. I am a seasonal worker, so I will be drawing unemployment over the winter. I am also officiating volleyball here in Michigan. There will be a few weeks in January and February when I will be earning more money than my unemployment benefit, but to my understanding, I can still collect my full unemployment check even though I will be receiving money from officiating. Is this correct? I've heard a few reasons as to why I can still collect the full check:

1). The money earned from officiating is outsourcing for schools, and is not reported as wages earned... and they do not take out unemployment or taxes from the officiating check.

2). The money earned from officiating is not the same as wages earned from a traditional employer, so it does not fit into the same category as earnings from a "traditional" job.

If you can provide any answers, I will certainly appreciate it! The last thing I want to do is get in trouble with the government!