View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I did the LASIK in '05 and it has been the best money I have ever spent! I did have to break down this year and get reading glasses. The surgery took about 20 including setup. I could see immediately, but it was sort of like opening your eyes underwater. I took a nap (doc's orders) and 3 hours later - WHAM - perfect vision! I was back at work the next day. My surgery was done on Jan. 6 in '05 during basketball and I was on the court again on the 13th. My doc didn't want to risk me taking a shot to the head before it was healed. I'd probably not do it during softball because a head-shot is inevitable. My cost was $1600 and I've gone back for periodic problems - dry or itching eyes and not paid another dime. The dry eyes is a problem - but not a big enough problem to not get the surgery. I would do it again tomorrow.

I am a little bit more light sensitive - even on some cloudy days. I always wear wrap around sunglasses even behind the plate. (During the first year I did have to wear sunglasses at night occasionally due to the car lights.) I haven't had any problems umpiring at night except the first season during some early college games - cold air blowing.

It's awesome not to have to put contacts in, or clean glasses all the time, or find them at night to go to the bathroom, or "insert any problem you have with glasses or contacts here". Feel free to pm me if you have some specific questions. If you are seriously going to do it, pm me and give me a number and I'll talk you through everything you can expect. That was important in getting through mine. I hope this helps.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.