Thread: Girls v Boys
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I'm going to talk about high school ball, because I suspect the answer is different for college ball. And my answer would be that a person probably can be very good at both hs boys and hs girls, as long as that person doesn't think or try to act as though they're the same. The girls' game and the boys' game are clearly much different -- at least it seems clear to me and I've done a lot of both, but the ref that's willing to work at each, and make the adjustments from one game to the next can certainly do well at both.
I read your articles on the site about this before the season and wasn't sure I totally agreed, but today can say I agree 100%. In my first season back in a few years, I realize I've already learned more than in the several years I officiated back then. And I readily admit I'm having a much more difficult time with the girls games than the boys.

Last night was my worst two games of the season - B team then A team Jr. High girls. Whew. I was finally starting to get into a flow with about 4 minutes left in the second game! So frustrating!!!

I realize that part of that is the age level, but I've done two HS varsity nights this year with both the girls and boys varsity teams. And both times I've been much more disappointed with my performance in the girls games. I know I will improve with more games, but I'm frustrated with what I see as inconsistent performance on my part. Argh!