View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Random thoughts - in no particular order:

Most everyone agrees on basics. There are different interpretations on the strike zone - everyone has their own. I have noticed that the higher the level the lower the zone needs to be. If you call a high strike in college you'll get crushed. Consistancy though is the key to survival as an umpire. I've seen bad umpires get away with being bad because they are consitantly bad - for both teams.

Yes, the zone is different for each level. I've also had some JV type games that need what we call an S-10 strike zone (if they can put it in the bed of an S-10 it's a stike). The coaches know if their pitcher is horrible and probably want to be out of there as bad as or worse than you.

I also want to get a strike on the first pitch. It's the mediocre pitchers that drive me nuts because you never know what's coming! Just get it close. All that having been said, I'd much rather be behind the dish - even in a bad game than on the bases.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.