View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
Pete,

Having read the thread on "the other site", I suspect that the answers you're getting here are not the ones you want to hear!
I do not post a question to get answers I want to hear

On this site we have some umpires with a plethora of experience.

If I am in the minority Fine but I do not get bent out of shape like some others if someone or a group of individuals have a different view.

Some aspects of Umpiring are not "cut and dry" but a matter of style. Also, we all work in different parts of the country and what works or what is taught in one part is not necessarily the same as in another part of the country.

Baseball is not a TIMED sport, we all know that and from my experience most of us want a game which has a "flow" to it. Why in the NBA does a team call a TO when the other team has momentum? Why! To slow things down and stop momentum.

When we have TIME regardless of the opinions presented, PLAY STOPS which could have an adverse effect on the flow of the game. Also, I am not talking about NOT calling a TO when we have a resasonable delay like a coach requesting TO or something along those lines.

I am talking about a "quick" clean of the plate or other similar occasions where your eyes are off the action for maybe a beat or 2.

In Summary: I do not write a post to see if others agree with me as that IMO is counter productive. We are in the off season and frankly I get tired of taking about where to purchase umpire equipment or what brand is best, etc. I brought the topic here because this Forum has been rather slow and solicit opinions / views from the masses who post here NOT to get the desired response. If you want to add value to the topic then please do so.

Pete Booth