View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
We have a couple 'friendly' tournaments here that are known as beer fests. They are co-ed tournaments (that is to say they have both genders but do not follow the ASA rules) with two divisions; one is for teams that want to compete, the other for the pure enjoyment factor. Umpires are assigned to whichever division they are willing to work.

You know going in what the status is and teams sign tournament wavers relieving the umpires and association from any responsibility. When I worked slow pitch, these were some of the most enjoyable tournaments I would work. The softball was terrible, but these people had more fun than should be allowed on a diamond. You never knew what to expect and your general duties were to remind teams when they had to change from offense to defense. In these tournaments, I have never witnessed a player or fan being beligerant because they are there to goof off and have fun.

On the other hand, in league play and regular tournaments, what happens away from the field is not our responsibility. Once you are in the dugout and on the field, no alcohol, period. Only once in my 20+ years have I had an issue with an inebriated player where the team did not address the problem before I had to. That is to say, they were drunk when they arrived and when they started to get out of control the team removed them from the field because of the inappropriateness.