View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
Let see, the original spot of the last first down is really a guesstimate. The HL placing the chains for that first down is a guesstimate. Subsequent down spots and placement of the box to those spots are guesstimates. Why would we suddenly now need some assured placement? And just what are they going to measure against. Was the ball moved at all between the last down and the penalty call? Did the center make an allowed adjustment (I'll bet my last $$ yes), so where is the "spot" now? Sorry, but the bottom line is you take the box spot as your best available guesstimate and if it's 3 inches behind the tape at the 5 yd mark, then a 5 yd penalty leaves you 3 inches short. Move on and quit complaining about it, unless of course you're an idiot announcer who doesn't know jack about how to officiate.
I'm not complaining, just trying to get some discussion going. I have never done it the way I have suggested, but have been considering for the last couple of years since I had a case where the box was behind the tape, but the five yard walk off ended up giving A the first down.

What happened was we had a five yard penalty against the home team. Visiting team had the ball. Box was behind the tape, so I knew it wasn't going to be a first down (or at least it shouldn't have been). I walked it off and while walking, it became apparent, the walk-off was going to put the ball beyond the line to gain. I shortened my steps and placed the ball down a little behind the last step to be sure it was behind the line to gain, but it still appeared to give A a first down, in fact the coach requested a measurement. R took a look and agreed. We measured and it was a first down. What I think happened is the home team boxman intentionally placed the box behind the tape, knowing the mechanic. Now, I know I screwed up by not taking a close look at where the ball was in relation to the nearest yard line (I think it was near the middle between two yard lines and there were no hash marks) and the linesman screwed up by not catching it, but it got me to thinking about actually measuring as opposed to using the box when it is close.