View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Beer and Softball go together........

At least in Mens softball that I have ever seen over the last 15 odd years. I took a few years off and came back a couple years ago to work as an umpire in a league run by a city park/rec department. The competition was very good on a couple nights (3 of the top 15 teams in the state in one league). Anyway, the city rule states no drinking during games. Players caught were to be ejected. So I was enforcing this rule and getting a bunch of grief.

Make a long story short, I call the director off the league and we are talking a bit and I tell him about the problem that I am having. He says dont worry about it. I said to him - You have a rule on your books that states no player shall be allowed to drink alcohol during the game. If I let some one play who has been drinking and they get hurt, who's insurance covers the suit? Mine or the city's, since all umpires were made employees of the city and are paid by the city. He again responded not to worry about it.

Well I kept the email response stating that, finished out the year and didnt do games last year for him because of it.

All of that aside, we have softball bars up here that run leagues and serve right to the field. Tournaments have beer carts set up in the middle of a four field hub. To see teams not drinking while they are involved in the tournament would be the uncommon site.

Frankly, I hate it! It is one reason why I will be cutting back my schedule this year and doing more youth.